Pages: 1
future of opendx (Read 14504 times)
nb
Forum Newbie

Got Viz?

future of opendx
04/18/11 at 13:49:31

Hi!
I've been using opendx for some time now and I really like it. However, I was wondering what the future of opendx looks like.  
If I look around on the website, I see news from several years ago. Is opendx still actively maintained? Are there still developers working on bugfixes, new features, etc? Will there ever be an opendx 5? Does Vis. inc. still exist?  
I'm afraid I already know the answer to these questions, I'm just curious if there are still ideas for opendx besides simply providing it on the website.

NB

IP Logged
joelr
OpenDX Forum Administrator

Got Viz?

Re: future of opendx
Reply #1 - 04/19/11 at 03:42:45

I have the same feelings/questions. As far as I know, there is no one
actively working on OpenDX. For my part, I'm in the "power user" category,
not a core developer. (My work on WebDX is an add-on and is completely
outside the system itself.) When it comes to questions about installing on
Ubuntu or adding new rendering methods or whatever, I'm as helpless as
the next person.

I think this is really sad.

Joel

Email   IP Logged
dogstar901

Got Viz?

Reply #2 - 07/18/11 at 00:17:02

Comparing with some more complicated software in scientific analysis, I think opendx provide us a relatively easy method to display the fact.So it is sure that it really helps us somehow.

Email   IP Logged
peteri
Forum Newbie

Got Viz?

Reply #3 - 08/07/11 at 10:42:11

I have started to work on DX. The whole software and the architecture of it is very nice, so I do not want the software to bit-rot. (I have seen other software which after 5 years cannot be compiled, or it is very difficult to compile.)
Anyway I want to revive the system. I have started with the DXUI and converted most of the Motif code
to GTK+. It works, the only bit which is missing at the moment is the connection with the ImageWindow.
(Although I have to say that the code of DXUI is very-very complex. The original developers used OOP,
but everything is connected to each other in a very complex way, so I am not sure whether to keep
it, but I intend to finish the conversion as I have gotten so far.)
Then I have started to work on the DX server. It is also mostly converted to GTK+. Hardware rendering
is missing at the moment but I will fix OpenGL in the next cycle. (Other hardware rendering I do not
intend to keep.) Display window and Supervised Window also works.
For me the next step is to create a "test system" and create a lot of simple tests, so I will be able to test
whether I have broken something if I change the code.
I intend to test everything on Linux, Windows and hopefully on Mac OS X.
The first code release will be hoepfully around October-November.

Peter Ivanyi

IP Logged
joelr
OpenDX Forum Administrator

Got Viz?

Reply #4 - 08/08/11 at 05:38:59

This will be awesome. OpenDX is a very very cool system, and I have hated to
see it wither.

Don't know if you're aware, but Greg Abrams (one of the original dx developers)
released a version a couple of years ago in which he made some major improvements
to threading and memory management:
  http://www.opendx.org/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1256241737

Cheers,
Joel

Email   IP Logged
peteri
Forum Newbie

Got Viz?

Reply #5 - 08/09/11 at 04:44:36

Yes, I have just downloaded the repository. I will look at it, what are the changes and how I can integrate it into my tree of code.

Peter Ivanyi

IP Logged
balden
Forum Newbie

Got Viz?

Reply #6 - 05/27/12 at 08:21:06

Peter,

Just noticed your post.
Have you been able to move forward with your project?
I would definitely love to test it.

Regarding Greg Abrams' version, I have finally started experimenting with it.
So far it seems perfectly stable. Definitely something worth integrating in your own version.
Check this thread for updates...
http://www.opendx.org/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1256241737

IP Logged
peteri
Forum Newbie

Got Viz?

Reply #7 - 08/13/12 at 14:49:34

Hi People,

I am still working on my version of OpenDX to integrate it with GTK+.
Although I have created a web page for it: http://opendx-gtk.sourceforge.net/
but no source code there at the moment. Sorry.

However I ran into a problem with the documentation. There is the help and the html directory.
I think they are the same and one was generated from the other or both of them have been
generated from some other format.  
Anybody has the original conversion script? Or maybe the original format of the documentation?

Thanks,

Peter Ivanyi

IP Logged
balden
Forum Newbie

Got Viz?

Reply #8 - 08/15/12 at 06:33:30

Hi Peter,

Very cool to know someone's striving to revive OpenDX. This could be a very big hit.
I'm looking forward to your first release.
I'm afraid my coding skills are insufficient for helping you, but I am a rather heavy DX user so if you need someone for testing, don't hesitate to contact me and I promise I will do my best to install it and try it.

Regarding the 64 bit addressing and multi-threading, you should definitely check Greg Abram's "unofficial v4.4.5" fork (see above posts). I am now using it all the time (under Linux), including very large data sets, and I found no obvious bug so far. In my opinion, it would deserve to be released as an official v4.4.5 (or v4.5.0 considering the huge amount of changes).

Sorry I can't help you with the help files. My understanding (which you probably figured out already) is that the help directory is used for the online and context help messages (and possibly "tutorial" tool) within the Motif UI, while the html directory is just the plain online HTML help tree to be accessed independently from outside the UI (with a web browser). I use the Motif online help very rarely but I'm not sure it has been kept in sync with the HTML: I seem to remember some obvious discrepancies between the two (besides figures which are explicitly tagged "missing" in the Motif help), the HTML being the more up-to-date version. Unfortunately I have no idea if and how the HTML may have been automatically derived from the other at some point.

IP Logged
Pages: 1